Blog

Important! Latest update for BES(Boston Exam School)

By ASC A+ Program on 16 October 20 Blog,News

Admission based on Grades, MCAS Scores, and ZIP Code

bes_update

Join Our FREE Webinar to learn more about the Get into Boston Exam Schools

On Thursday, a Boston Public School task force proposed that the district waive the entrance exam requirement for one year and make the admission decisions based on grades, MCAS scores (or other exam scores) and ZIP codes.

Historically, the Boston Exam Schools used the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) and the student’s grade point average to decide admission. This year, however, due to the Educational Records Bureau ending its contract, BPS began picking a new test for the entrance exam.  Late summer, the BPS picked a new test to be administered by NWEA. COVID-19 has severely impacted the BPS’s efforts to create an effective criterion upon which to choose students for the class of 2021.  After all the effort that went into choosing a new admissions exam, the Boston Public School may not be able to host the admission test due to continued COVID-19 fears.

Under the new proposal, up to 20% of the seats available next year’s freshman class at each exam school would be reserved for students with the city’s top GPA overall.  The remaining 80% of seats would be given to students with the highest GPAs in their home ZIP code. Students who are in traditional public schools must either have scores of “meet expectations” or “exceeded expectations” on 2019 MCAS or a B average or better for two terms before the pandemic. Students who are in private schools would have to prove they earned a B average or better.

What should you do now if the new proposal passed? Earning a better GPA is now more important than ever. It is never too late to start! ASC is committed to providing the best possible service to students to help them excel in their Academic Studies. Call ASC now to ensure you earn high grades.  We have the programs, teachers, and staff to ensure you will ace the admissions process.

It is important to keep in mind that this is a proposal and that a final decision has not been made.  The School Committee will share the final decision on the proposed admissions criteria, which is scheduled for October 21, 2020. In the meantime, your student will be ready for any decision by preparing with the ASC A+ Program.

If you have any questions, just give ASC a call at 617-730-3705

add_action('wp_footer', function() { });